qemu-arm images

jeff moe at blagblagblag.org
Tue Feb 20 16:49:06 CET 2007

Richard Bennett wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 February 2007 12:15, Krzysztof Kajkowski wrote:
>>> I just have to investigate optimizing qemu a bit, as the response is a
>>> bit sluggish, but useable with keyboard navigation (arrows tab enter) -
>>> the mouse was not usable for me.
>> What did you do exactly? After switching to console I cannot use vi to
>> edit XServer file - cursor keys doesn't work ;-(
> Hi,
> I just clicked on the interface, then pressed ctrl-alt-del to kill X.
> My keyboard worked fine on the command line, so i logged in using 'root'
> without password, and did
> vi /etc/X11/Xserver
> deleted the @270 and saved the file.

Yes. Note that I added the 640x480 at 270 part. I did this because by default it
was showing the screen being in landscape mode, when it "should" be in portrait
mode. I also have a second monitor (xinerama) and am displaying it full screen
on there with a tilted LCD. :)

I also removed an init.d file and put it in root's homedir--it was for screen
calibration at bootup.

> Typing startx at that point didn't work for me, so I simply killed qemu, and
> started it up again.

Ya, no startx. One way: you can just run `init 3` then `init 5`.

If you want to edit the files outside of qemu, you can do:

losetup /dev/loop0 qemuarm-image.ext2
mount /dev/loop0 /mnt
vi /mnt/etc/X11/Xserver
umount /mnt