PalmOS-like data storage

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sat Jan 27 22:05:24 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 20:45 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer schreef:
> > Tomasz Zielinski wrote:
> >> Most PDA applications needs save small set of data - user preferences,
> >> high score list and so on. Does the OpenMoko support such operation
> >> with it's API? If it doesn't, there is a risk developers will
> >> implement dozens of different ways and every app will behave
> >> differently.
> >
> > Yeah, it's very important.
> >
> >> There is of course some problems here, but I believe OpenMoko data
> >> storage API is necessary. How do you think?
> >
> > I agree 100%. However this is one of the areas where we didn't want to
> > go forward without gathering community input -- so I'm looking forward
> > to chose either one of gconf, sqlitefs, etc. during the next weeks.
> >
> > What would you guys prefer?
>
> Gconf and sqlitefs solve different things: gconf stores 'settings' and libsqlitefs aims
> for object storage a la newton[1]. Maybe mister Schlesinger could enlighten us some more
> about the ALP goodies.

Since openmoko is using GTK and glib, I think using gconf is a good
option for storage of settings. However, this is problematic if qt/KDE
apps will be used and/or added to the system. I looked at some portland
project discussion about uniconf as a unifier, but it looks to be
problematic as the great unifier, and thus, gconf seems to be best for
app/desktop settings IMO.

http://www.google.com/search?q=uniconf&sitesearch=lists.freedesktop.org%
2Farchives%2FPortland%2F

The Nokia/Maemo platform uses gconf for apps/desktop I believe.

It would be great to use some unified gconf-like solution, but in the
end, it is what is stable and most supportive of GTK/C/GLIB IMO.

As for object storage, it would be good to look at how evolution and
tiny-mail do things, as they use the evolution sqlite method for saving
contacts, etc to disk.

At what sqlitefs in at ATM?

Jon

--