OpenEmbedded/Bitbake

Scott Oberg scottoberg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 08:10:15 CET 2007

Richard Boehme wrote:
> Build confusion:
>
> 1) I'm using Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft). There are instructions for it.
> Other than Monotone, which isn't the right version, I supposedly
> 'have' OpenEmbedded and bitbake. My project SVN name is OMBalance, so
> I created a build/conf directory inside the OMBalance directory, and
> created local.conf, with the contents:
>
> MACHINE = "ep93xx"
> DISTRO = "generic"
>

> However, what I'm having trouble figuring out are many and varied:
>
> 1) Do I actually have OpenEmbedded and bitbake, or do I need to get OE
> from Monotone, after bypassing my package manager to do so? Are there
> any packages for the appropriate Monotone?
>
> 2) OK, let's supposed I get over that hurdle and have OE build 'nano'
> fine. I can't find a sample that would tell me where I can instruct
> OE/Bitbake to pick up my source locally... or even where to find the
> source files and tell it what language they're in and how to compile
> them. Do I have to commit my changes to Subversion each time I want to
> rebuild for the phone?
>
> 3) Does anyone have a sample 'Moko Hello World' that comes with
> Bitbake/OE files etc. that we can use as a sample?

Hi Richard,

Once you've worked your way through the getting started guide's checkout
of the OE dev branch, you should be able to look into some of the
bitbake 'recipe' files that allow you to instruct/script bitbake to
build your favorite package.

http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/GettingStarted

(from the GettingStarted guide: the cmd that checks out the branch from
monotone, mtn, for the first time)
mtn --db=/stuff/OE.mtn checkout --branch=org.openembedded.dev

There are > 1470 packages already in the org.openembedded.dev/packages
dir.  I would look into the recipe (.bb file) for an app that you are
familiar with, e.g. tar or a gtk+ game, to see how to make your own
recipe.  The existing .bb files serve as good examples:)

The wiki's main page has a links to various tutorials and the bb file
format.
http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/MainPage

I hope that helps. I think that the best place for this info is on the
OE wiki because that will be updated and this Post will eventually be
out of date.  Maybe sooner than I think;)

Scott