How much space left we've got?

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at hrw.one.pl
Sun Jan 28 12:27:18 CET 2007

Dnia niedziela, 28 stycznia 2007 10:10, Tomasz Zielinski napisał:
> 64 MB of Neo1964 storage isn't much. In fact, it's damn small. I have
> following questions:

> 1. How much space take kernel, libs, core apps - all necessary stuff?
> 2. How much space we have left to fill?
> 3. How much space needs to be left empty (for user data, apps, voice
> recordings, SMSs, PIM data among others)?

I think that we have to leave atleast 10 megabytes. JFFS2 would need ~1M
due to garbage collector having problems when filesystem is full, then
user data need space too. My SonyEricsson k750i phone reports 29MB of
free space in phone and 35MB (of 64MB) on card.

Apps will need to be prepared to give user option 'store to phone'/'store
on card' without showing any other questions about it.

> Are you (core team) going to make poll, what apps or which libs
> include by default with end-user Neo? I think 3 month after phase 1
> starts developers could vote for their favourite software pieces, what
> do you think?

Normal software pack for phone should be:

- settings
- PIM (contacts, calendar, todos, notes, today, sms, alarm)
- media player
- audio recorder
- web/wap browser
- simple file manager
- calculator
- 2-3 games

> PS: yes, I vote for ~250KB sqlite shared library :->

Speaking about sqlite... I would like to see sqlite3 only apps. If someone
work on new application then avoid sqlite2.

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

         You can close your eyes to reality, but not to memories.