Profiles - General Discussion

Joe Pfeiffer jjpfeifferjr at comcast.net
Tue Jan 30 02:20:56 CET 2007

More musings...

Hmmm....  a profile is really an access rights matrix:  depending on a
variety of things (we've been using location, time, and incoming phone
number as examples; one expects we'd have other possibilities in
practice -- maybe even open-ended?), some things are enabled, some
disabled, and others customized (whether the phone rings, what ring
tone to use, whether to answer in speakerphone mode....  again,
open-ended?).

We really want to be able to edit and manage profiles keyed on any of
the things used to key the profiles; we also want to be able to manage
groups of similar keys (be able to have a group labelled "emergency"
for calls that always have to go through but cause the phone to
vibrate instead of ring when the phone is "off", etc).

So it ought to be possible to go to a name in the contact list, and
mark it as an "emergency number".  Or mark it individually as a number
that uses a different ringtone.

Finally, yes, people who are comfortable with named profiles should be
able to manage them through a central profile editor.  So... maybe a
"phone settings" button tied to the GPS application that brings up the
profile editor with current location and time already filled in?