PalmOS-like data storage

Jonathon Suggs jsuggs at murmp.com
Tue Jan 30 16:18:05 CET 2007

> On 1/27/07, 'Mickey' Lauer <Michael> wrote:
> I agree 100%. However this is one of the areas where we didn't want to
> go forward without gathering community input -- so I'm looking forward
> to chose either one of gconf, sqlitefs, etc. during the next weeks.
>
> What do you guys think?

Completely personal preference, but I like sqlite.

I analyze most problems I come across by first coming up with the underlying data structures.  It is usually about a 50/50 split between thinking in a C-object mindset and a database table mindset.  But lately I've been working more closely with database and that ratio is starting to shift.

One of the benefits of sqlite is that it is ACID compliant.  Meaning: Atomic, Consistent, Isolated, and Durable (ACID).  It will survive system crashes, power failures, or any other event.  It has an extremely well documented API that is VERY easy to use.  Plus, it is pretty compact: ~250Kb (fully configured) or ~150Kb with a some component omitted.

This should probably be a separate discussion, but I'll let others decide if it should branch.

-Jonathon