Translators needed?

Andreas Hochsteger andreas.hochsteger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 21:17:05 CET 2007

2007/1/31, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey at openmoko.org>:
> José (and all other translation volunteers):
>
> Thanks for your offer, we definitely can benefit from you.
> Unfortunately, we didn't settle on a translation infrastructure yet,
> so I can't recommend what to look into.
>
> What would you guys prefer? GNU Gettext or something else?

I've used GNU Gettext in the past for UI translation (both GUI and
command line apps) and can recommend it. It seems to be a well
established standard for C/C++ programming.

But GUI translation is not everything.
The documentation and help system should be translated too.
The XML format DocBook (http://www.docbook.org/) can be highly
recommended for this task since it allows a great number of output
formats to be generated from its sources (HTML, PDF, RTF, Unix
Manpages, OpenOffice, MS Help, JavaHelp, ... - see
http://wiki.docbook.org/topic/formats).

The KDE project (http://www.kde.org/) did a very good job in organized
the localization (l10n) and internationalization (i18n) tasks and has
excellent documentation available for translators:
http://l10n.kde.org/

Worth a view for anyone interested in translating software!

--
Andreas