third party navigation solution

Patrick Beck beck-patrick at web.de
Mon Jul 9 20:07:41 CEST 2007

Hi,

> About a few weeks ago, ich asked the guys from Navigon (a german developer of high quality navigation systems) with an e-mail (navigon.com), wether they are interested in porting their java-based navigation solution, which got very good ratings in several tests, to the OpenMoko-platform.
> And the best: Till now it's officially a beta version and doesn't cost anything but runs very stable. But even maybe if it costs some money later, I think everyone would be happy about a good navigation solution for OpenMoko.

For which device is the beta Version? I think they can choose the
Java-VM that they would ;)

Perhaps you follow the discussion by me about TomTom. They answered that
they will wait for more publicity about openmoko and the neo. So i am
very surprised about the openess of Navigon to the project.

I hope Navigon develop "now" (not later ;)) a solution for the
Navigation problem. I would be the first buyer :D

> >From my side, I would even spend some menpower to make this thing running on the upcoming OpenMoko based Neo. But I'm no developer. I'm a teacher for economics and information technology. I can talk to make the guys from Navigon to build there Navigation programm to this platform, can visit them, can make testings an QM and reports to the community. But I need the interest of the community and the support and the willing of the developers to have such an application on Neo.
> And I need the specs to give them. A Neo-device for the developers would be very helpful, too, I think. Maybe this task could also do someone else, who is more on the technical side, but I would do it anyway because I'm so amazed of the idea.

I would help you gladly :)

with kindly regards

Patrick Beck