Qemu, repository, dev env.

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Fri Jul 20 09:29:09 CEST 2007

Lars Hallberg wrote:

> Is there any repository (with both OpenMoko and OpenEmbed pakages built
> for the neo) yet from where one can update such image the 'on the phone'
> intended way (ipkg). And if so, is ther a build environment available to
> install on the phone (or qemu image)? Stuff like svn, make, gcc, dev-libs?

I'm hoping for such a repository of pre-built packages as well.  I envision
your more advanced user of the phone would install/deinstall variations of our
creations, choosing dialer A or dialer B, based on their features, using a
well-designed on-device GUI package manager.

But actually doing development -on- the phone -- that seems quite ambitious.
Lacking a swap partition, being limited to 128M RAM and using flash that
eventually wears out -- such seems risky and would require a lot of patience.
 And using the screen keyboard for serious code development would be
difficult, for me, although perhaps a bluetooth keyboard would be fine.  I've
been checking them out.

-Jeff