MokoMakefile disabling of "svnnow" and new force-rebuild target

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Sat Mar 3 17:01:31 CET 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 10:51:34AM +1030, Rod Whitby wrote:
> I have modified MokoMakefile to disable the "svnnow" functionality
> (which rebuilds all openmoko-specific packages every time you build),
> and have added a 'force-rebuild' target to the Makefile which lets you
> do the same thing, but at a time of your choosing.

Two days ago, I have implemented a couple of modifications to
base.bbclass and bitbake-1.6.2 which fix this.

So what it now does, is: For each file/directory in SRC_URI, check the
upstream revision number and construct one string out of all revision
numbers.  Put that string in PR.  If it didn't change (i.e. none of the
upstream sourcres have changed), don't rebuild.

This also gives us more reasonable filenames, with svn revision in the
filename rather than some whatever date.

I have not yet committed those changes to svn since they wouldn't work
with a vanilla bitbake anyway.

An experienced python developer (those bitbake changes were my first
lines of python code ever) will review those changes, probably
reimplement bits of it, and after that we'll publish those changes -
along with instructions on how to use the patched bitbake.

That developer will also look into reimplementing/porting this to
current upstream bitbake, and we'll submit it.

Cheers,