[oe] Why EABI matters

Lars Hallberg lah at micropp.se
Fri Mar 16 07:16:14 CET 2007

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer skrev:
> Andrés Calderón wrote:
>> This article describes the floating point performance benefits of the
>> ARM EABI. The authors use an open source floating point benchmark to
>> compare how compiling with EABI support can improve floating point
>> performance.  The  benchmark platform is based in OE.
>
>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT5920399313.html

I know nothing about compiling for ARM yet...

... but my gut says there should be a compile time switch to turn of use
of FPA instructions an do the floating point calculations in a user
space library avoiding the context switches.

Given most ARM processor don't have FPA, and most is used in embedded
device where You know at compile time if You have it or not... anything
else would be strange.

I don't how much that speed things up... but it would be interesting for
comparison.

/LaH