FeedReader for OpenMoko

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Tue Mar 20 02:19:24 CET 2007

Hi Freaks,

department of confusion confirms zecke has been seen hacking Gtk for
the last three hours. The result is a comparsion between Qts
Interview Framework and Gtk's one and a RSS reader. If you consider
that Gtk's stuff was created back in 2002 (and even earlier) it is
actually quite good.

Well http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~freyther/FeedReader.png a
screenshot, and the source http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~freyther/
openmoko-rssreader-0.0.1.tar.bz2 and it would be appreciated if svn
would be made to work soonish.

I decided to use libmrss as this is a small but powerful and rather
complete reader and composer library. And the autofoo usage is quite
clean and obvious. This allows me to only concentrate on the
userinterface. As we have some designers and spec writers on this
project I have a small list of questions.

  - How should the config dialog look like? How to add categories for
the filter bar? Screenshots would be welcome. E.g. a quick add  that
shows a GtkEntry and a ComboBox to select the group and a complete
management dialog that allows you to move and delete existing feeds?

- HTTP authentication. I have never seen a private livejournal page
how would a password dialog look like? What keyring do we have at
OpenMoko? Where to cache passwords :)

- Integration into messages. The messages application could poll the
feeds according to the SkipHours and then open the feed reader to
download the feed.

- Offline viewing of feed data. Should we cache the data? how much
data should be cached? If a user presses refresh should we keep the
old data in case of connection errors.

- Should we cache images from the feeds?

- The "refresh all button", Is it bound to the active categroy? e.g.
refresh all feeeds in the current category/filter or is it global?

- What should we do with the extra toolbox buttons. Currently they
say "Rent me" and "Buy more Mate". I would not mind to display Ad
Click advertising on these buttons but if you have a better use
shout. E.g. one could control the font size of the TextView?

- Commercial feeds (sorry both are german) like spiegel.de and
heise.de only publish their headlines and force you to visit the real
webpage. Should one try to display the HTML within the feedbrowser or
switch to the webbrowser?

- Is the SMS dbus interface specified yet? Would one send the URL or
text of the article both?

- How to report progress and errors? Should the Footer be used to
display messages?

- much more I forgot because I ran out of caffeine... and missed my
last bus...

My personal agenda for this is:
	- Use GAIM HTML tokenizer and display HTML inside the GtkTextView
         - Use ModelFilter and ModelSort for searching, sorting and
filtering the feed
         - Fight with the Column Header sizing
         - Implement caching of feed data (e.g. in sqlite)
         - Do the loading of feeds inside a GThread
         - Instead of hardcoding the feed data use GConf
         (- Release the Qtopia version as well)

z.