FeedReader for OpenMoko

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Tue Mar 20 13:42:44 CET 2007

Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl at ...> writes:

> More importantly and for exactly the reason mentioned above, I think there
> should be the possibility to prefetch the links in the stream, so you can
> cache those sites too. Ideally whenever "free" internet (as opposed to the
> usually way overpriced GPRS) is available, the feedreader should get all
> feeds and cache whatever you have told him to. It should be configurable if
> it should fetch only text/css or images as well.

Hello Gabriel,

I think we look at different usecases here. E.g. you want to achieve
information ahead of time. A solution exists for that already and it is
called plucker. The to be written OpenMoko Reader should be used to view
these sites. Obviously one would like to have synchronisation so that achieved
information is automatically uploaded to the phone.

I have the luxury to live in a region with 'zero additional cost' for
UMTS/GPRS/EDGEand I think a feed reader and web browser is tailored for
such setups (free internet everywhere). So the only issues with connectivity are
that temporarily none is available or it is so slow that you want to cancel
the operation.

Anyway this is an interesting problem and will require thinking.

z.

PS: If you use WebKit as renderer one still wants to have some sort of proxy
(with limited storage) to cache sites images. I think we really want to have a
small and lightweight proxy on the neo. At 23c3 I showed my windows mobile
phone that crashed because the Internet Explorer consumed all storage with
temporary files....  and we can do better than that!