USB on-the-go (OTG)- how to use the Neo1973 with USB host and an external keyboard?

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Sat Mar 24 12:44:14 CET 2007

Salve Joe!

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> >Does anybody knows good tutorials about USB OTG or just
> >a good article how to work with USB OTG and Linux.

>  I was corrected on this point a while
> ago:  the device doesn't use OTG.  It can act as either host-side or
> device-side, but doesn't do it with the whole complex OTG protocol.

Maybe at the moment, but isn't the complex OTG protocol a software
question?

And again the issue "5V power" I realy would like to see (switchable)
power on the USB port, even when it serve some power, less then the
standard like 50mA (to power up one keyboard or one USB flash memory
device). A powerinjetor with a 9V battery weights >70g. This is not
only unsmart to carry it with you, hanging at the Neo1973
(e.g. in a train, hanging up the Neo at the seat in front of you)
it creates one problem: it gives a mechanical moment on the device
what could
- damage the Neos usb jack
- rotate your hanging  Neo1973

So full power of MObilKOmmunikation on the road,
is IMHO only possible with an powered USB port.

And again¹ I would love to see a normal USB-A jack (powered)
inside a Neo so that I could use USB gadgets on the road without
any adapter - the volume of a normal USB jack would be well spend
- this normal USB-A jack could be additional to the USB-mini jack
inside the Neo.

Greetings,
rob

¹http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2006-November/000000.html
When the hardwaredesign is not finished - IMHO would be
great to have a (Typ A "DIN IEC 61076-3-107") female connector
on the device without the need for an external adapter
that can be lost....
;)