Asterisk on Openmoko

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sat Mar 31 01:00:07 CEST 2007

Jonathon Suggs <jsuggs at murmp.com> writes:
> Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>> There is no point in having a PBX in the end device.
> Reminds me of a famous quote:
> .640K ought to be enough for anybody.. - Bill Gates
>
> Don't be so short-sighted.

This isn't like saying "no one will ever need more than 640K of
memory", this is like saying "no one will ever need a jet powered
bratwurst". I'm not saying that people will never need more memory,
speed, etc. than they have now, I'm saying they will never need
something completely ridiculous. When you can find me an app for a jet
powered bratwurst, please let me know. I'll believe a PBX is useful on
a mobile phone at the same time, around when you show that it is vital
that the phone contain a full sized freezer for storing meat.

I'll name some other absurd ideas right now, just so we can get them
out of the way:

1) BGP implementation for OpenMoko "so you can use it as a backbone
   router!"
2) MRI and CT scanner drivers "so you can run your medical imaging
   equipment on it in emergencies!"
3) Folding at Home client "so you can run your batteries down as fast as
   possible and not have your phone survive the morning commute!"
4) Automated application to call the police every ten minutes and
   generate a random bomb threat that it reads through a voice
   synthesizer.

I'm sure everyone reading can come up with more.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com