Asterisk on Openmoko

Kannaiyan Natesan gbpnkans at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 05:09:48 CEST 2007

On 3/30/07, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com> wrote:

> "Kannaiyan Natesan" <gbpnkans at gmail.com> writes:
> >> I'd also say that something like a SIP softphone is probably what you
> >> want.  or even less than that: emulate a headset via bluetooth, i.e.
> >> have the neo act as a headset device for your PC based softphone
> >> application.
> >
> > Asterisk is  a PBX. Now we can PBX in hand to handle the calls
> > smoothly in whatever the way we want.
>
> There is no point in having a PBX in the end device. You aren't going
> to switch 20 calls through your handset simultaneously and you don't
> have enough bandwidth to do it even if you're silly enough to desire
> it. The phone also isn't going to be on all the time, or on the
> network at all times.

I mentioned PBX there just to say to use the functionalities that we
can use from asterisk. Had a chance to look into its capabilities?
I'm using it only for my single phoneline at home  for 5 years. I
don't have 24 lines with T1 capability.

> > You want to record during the conversation and playback later?
>
> If you want that, use a software PBX server in a closet on a proper
> UPS with a stable connection to the PSTN and/or Internet. There is no
> point to PBX functionality on the *phone*. If you want to record the
> conversation, you can do it on a box with plenty of CPU, disk, etc.,
> not on the phone.

If openmoko can do that, Why should I buy the rest?. If openmoko is
not capable of sending email or remote storage through samba, nfs
etc., through the wifi then it is useless to buy that device.

If the openmoko is currently uses 100% CPU  for rest of its
operations, how come you can ask a opensource enthusiast to play
around with that device? Is it not looking like cheating business here
?

Kannaiyan