Applying changes.

Joshua Layne joshua at willowisp.net
Sat Nov 3 22:25:44 CET 2007

Emre Turkay wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I want to make some changes in one of the openmoko applications (i.e.,
> battery applet), compile it and generate an ipkg file. Install it on
> the neo. Generate a patch to send to bugzilla or mailing list. How can
> I do it, is it written in somewhere?
Hi Emre,
There are instructions on the wiki for getting a basic build environment
set up for openmoko, and there are more detailed instructions at
openembedded.org
openembedded is a good build system, but it can be challenging to set
up.  You will need a linux box for it with a fair amount of CPU, mem and
disk (~10GB)
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenMoko2007.2#How_to_build
http://www.openembedded.org

You will need to modify the bitbake recipe for (e.g. battery-applet,
although that is probably not the actual recipe name) and then once it
compiles and works as you like, run a 'mtn diff' to generate the patch
to submit.

(these instructions would work for general openembedded packages, I
assume the same holds for openmoko)

Regards,
josh