MokoFEM Application

Alexandre d'Alton alex at alexdalton.org
Wed Nov 14 13:05:15 CET 2007

On 12:16 pm 11/14/07 Schmidt András  <asch at freemail.hu> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It sounds interesting. Though I don't undertand what is this thing
> about. I don't know much about this technology. What is TI modem?
> What information can be extracted?

The TI Modem is the modem part of the openmoko platform. It handles all the
mobile phone functionalities of the openmoko phone.
Information that can be extracted are the neighbor cells informations like
cell identifiers and received signal level for each of them.

> I have heard that GSM system has ability to localize the cell phone.
> Can this information be extracted used to find the exect location of
> our phone? Or just the cell which the phone is in?

In order to know the location of the phone, we need to create a database of
cell locations in order to triangulate the phone's position by using the
cells that the phone sees at a certain time.
So the first step is to create that cell location database, and that is the
purpose of this app that I'm developing.