GTK vs QTopia vs Android - (was: Re: Android needs applications) (will be: new vision for openmoko)

Schmidt András asch at freemail.hu
Fri Nov 16 15:25:56 CET 2007

Hi

You are jumping from one place to other too fast for me. I am trying to
arrange it into points by filtering the thoughts through myself:

    *  Think the Linux kernel is the same below all platforms: OpenMoko,
      Google android, and Qtopia.
    * OpenMoko and Android share same goals:
          o open platform that interoperates between devices from
            different vendors.
    * There is an analogy with Gnome-KDE:
          o I don't think KDE is better than Gnome or Gnome is better
            than KDE. There are applications that I like more in KDE and
            ones I like in Gnome. But they can all be executed on a
            single desktop! I think that's what open mobile platforms
            should also do. You can select whether to install an
            OpenMoko, a Qtopia or Android. But that selection should not
            prevent you from installing applications written to the
            other platform.
          o So I believe the OpenMoko community should consider
            implementing Android API to work on the OpenMoko operating
            system. Not more. Suggesting that OpenMoko should be stopped
            in favour of Android and QTopia is something very rude on an
            OpenMoko development list.
    * There are privacy problems with Google. Google filters too much
      information. Google may use its platform to gather even more
      information about the users. Personally I don't like it. Although
      it may not prevent me from wrinting Android applications.

Ross Burton says:

>Last time I looked, the full Android stack wasn't open
>source.  They say
>it will be, but until it is Android is a closed platform
>running on
Linux.

Thats the exact point why I don't like Google's Android yet. If they
want it to be supported soon they should open Android implementation
now. Some mailing list entry has suggests that Google makes money by
supporting hardware vendors to make their devices Androidable. I don't
know whether OpenMoko will pay for it.

Michael Schmidt says:
>For that we need a clear launch date of Neo in the online shop and we
>need a clear - in accordance to the community - agreement on which
>operating system all - and then really *all* should agree and work on
>this neo-launch - developers and applications then work.

I think Neo and OpenMoko are trying their best to be on market as soon as possible. The problem is that they are too much in a hurry. They could give an exact launch date that will not be canceled but that would not be accepted by the users. That's why they are estimating too optimistic and then they re-schedule the project so often.

Schmidt András