Mono on OpenMoko

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 20:47:24 CEST 2007

On 10/27/07, Mikkel Meyer Andersen <openmoko at mikl.dk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made an entire build this morning and flashed by Neo 1973 with both
> the new kernel- and rootfs-image. Afterwards I installed mono and
> mono-gmcs and tried to compile this program:
>
> /* --- */
> using System;
>
> namespace Scienco
> {
>         class MainClass
>         {
>                 public static void Main(string[] args)
>                 {
>                         Console.WriteLine("Hello World!");
>                 }
>         }
> }
> /* --- */
>
> When I try to compile it at the OpenMoko-device, all I get is this error:
> root at fic-gta01:~$ gmcs Main.cs
> Illegal instruction
> root at fic-gta01:~$

Your example runs fine on an xscale system -- I'll update my openmoko
device and try that.

root at cm-x270:~$ gmcs test.cs
root at cm-x270:~$ mono test.exe
Hello World!
root at cm-x270:~$

> If I try to run just gmcs the same occurs. If I try to debug it with gdb
> I get ([...] is copyright-notice):
> root at fic-gta01:~$ gdb gmcs
> [...]
> This GDB was configured as "arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi"...
> "/usr/bin/gmcs": not in executable format: File format not recognized
> (gdb) q
> root at fic-gta01:~$

gmcs is a shell script:

root at cm-x270:~$ more /usr/bin/gmcs
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/mono $MONO_OPTIONS /usr/lib/mono/2.0/gmcs.exe "$@"

Its likely you have something wrong with shell scripts on your system.
 Try running mono directory as in the above script.

Cliff