Current bugbears

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Tue Sep 4 20:24:53 CEST 2007

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 08:18:45PM +0100, Giles Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sadly I've not been able to devote as much time on the phone as I
> hoped. So I would like to offer a few "hints" on what irritates me.
>
> Firstly the current startup sound is irritating, it's too loud, clips
> on my phone and it's totally unnecessary. Can you imagine yourself
> sitting on a train and having that go off? By all means have it as an
> option, but by default have no sound.
>
> Secondly, if a component such as a task bar or menu bar crashes, it
> should relaunch itself. Simple to do, have it launch via a script
> with a loop in it, the command the script launches blocks the script,
> if it dies it gets run again.
>
> Volume panel, this is urgent, we need a way to adjust volume easily
> since there is no vol up/down buttons.
>
> Technical jargon in the interface:
>
> 1. "the ui is launching", why not simply "Please wait..."?

Personally, I think any sort of "Please wait" type statement is really
demeaning to the user. "Starting up", or "waking up" or whatever would
be nicer.

Let's not tell the user what to do, let's just tell them what's going
on. And please, give me console messages on development builds. I would
like to what daemon is hanging, paricularly when I try to shutdown.
If it has to be pretty, put a 'show details'/'hide details' button
on the screen.