Current bugbears

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Tue Sep 4 22:03:10 CEST 2007

There are approval rules (FAA). Different countries and airlines have
different rules. They even change over time, i.e. they might have
been different 5 years ago and might be different in 5 years.

WiFi has been tested intensively (I think approx. 2 years) by Boeing,
Lufthansa and others before it was allowed to operate. Some airlines
need simply more time to do these experiments or to earn enough money
to pay the approval process...

I have used that last year for the first time with SAS (two years ago
the system did not have satellite connection for some reason they did
not explain). And that is really nice to send a birthday e-mail right
from 70 degrees north passing over Greenland... Unfortunately, they
have now stopped the WLAN service for business reasons.

Well, the mentioned Airline might go a little far by asking to switch
off ALL devices during the WHOLE flight (ususally it is only during
take-off and landing). But having incidents is so expensive to an
airline that they simply have stay on the safe side.

And I, as the paying customer, would not accept that they would take
more risks.