qemu-neo1973 and zd1211rw wifi driver

Salil Bijur salilbijur at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 12:43:22 CEST 2007

Hello,

I'm trying out qemu-neo1973 using a Linux kernel compiled for neo1973
and my own file system.
I have been been able to detect and use USB, for instance, USB mass storage.

The problem I'm facing is that qemu-system-arm crashes when I try to
use the Hawking USB Wifi dongle (which uses zd1211rw driver) connected
to my host machine's USB.
The kernel image 'uImage' I use is compiled with the necessary drivers
required - usb and zd1211rw

# ./qemu-system-arm -M neo -m 130 -mtdblock  openmoko-flash.image
-kernel uImage -usbdevice keyboard -serial
telnet:localhost:1200,server -monitor telnet:localhost:1300,server

After the kernel boots completely, I add the usb device using the
usb_add command in the qemu monitor. This causes the entire emulator
qemu-system-arm to crash with a segmentation fault.

In the qemu monitor:
(qemu) info usbhost
  Device 5.5, speed 480 Mb/s
    Vendor Specific: USB device 0ace:1211, USB2.0 WLAN
  Device 1.2, speed 1.5 Mb/s
    Class 00: USB device 04b3:310b
(qemu) usb_add host:0ace:1211
(qemu) Connection closed by foreign host.

In the serial output terminal, the kernel prints are:
/ # usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using s3c2410-ohci and address 4
hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-1:1.0: 8 ports detected
usb 1-1.8: new full speed USB device using s3c2410-ohci and address 5
usb 1-1.8: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
usb 1-1.8: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 1-1.8: reset full speed USB device using s3c2410-ohci and address 5
Connection closed by foreign host.

I haven't been able to debug this using gdb since an asynchronous
signal from SDL causes it to hang in a debug state.

Can anyone explain why this is happening? Since usb_add is working
fine with USB mass storage and USB Bluetooth, this problem seems to be
specific to zd1211rw USB WiFi.

Any pointers on this would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Salil