App Design questions

Stefan Winkler openmoko at winklerweb.net
Fri Sep 28 13:55:37 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've come over a few design questions for a slick podcast catching and
playing application for the openmoko platform.

1.
How is the filesystem organized? If I am correct, then part of it resides in
the phone's flash and part is on SD card.
So where would be the right place to cache podcast media files and to store
preferences and configuration items?
/var/something ?
~/.foobar ?
Something else?

2.
I want to have an automatic update facility, something like "if I have
access to the internet, then download new podcasts".
Is there any intelligent internet sensing logic? As far as I understood
libmokonet checks BT and GSM. Will it check Wifi in the futue?
Can I get information on how I am connected (and maybe even to which WLan).
So that I can setup complex options like "update podcasts if home WLan is
detected" or "if home WLAN detected, then update, else if GPRS is detected,
then update".

3.
Will there be a cron daemon running?
Is it 'better' design to provide a cron-callable command line interface to
update podcasts or do I have to keep the app running constantly and checking
periodically for updates itself?

Well, I guess that's all for now. I would appreciate some hints about these
issues.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Stefan