App Design questions

Jonathon Suggs jsuggs at murmp.com
Fri Sep 28 17:29:18 CEST 2007

Stefan Winkler wrote:
> 3.
> Will there be a cron daemon running?
> Is it 'better' design to provide a cron-callable command line interface to
> update podcasts or do I have to keep the app running constantly and checking
> periodically for updates itself?
>
> Well, I guess that's all for now. I would appreciate some hints about these
> issues.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers,
> Stefan
Yes, cron will be available.

There are two different methods that I can think of.  First, is
obviously cron.  Just check for a connection at some configurable time.
If you have a connection, then update.  The other method (don't know if
this is implemented yet, or if it even will be implemented...though I
would think it would be) is to have some type of dbus binding that would
send notification of either a GPRS or WiFi connection.  Then you could
take the appropriate action without have to continuously "poll" for a
network connection.  I think that this would be the "more correct"
implementation, but obviously that introduces another external dependency.

I know there is a lot going on, but how much progress on dbus
integration has been made?

-Jonathon