[Phone Server dbus API]: methods vs. signals

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Mon Feb 11 14:07:01 CET 2008

Thanks for all your mails on that subject.

Now that I understand that due to the inherent asynchronous nature of dbus,
it's actually merely a matter of how the application choses to use the API.
Which makes me confident my first API draft is actually not too bad.

Two followup questions on that though: Since both methods and signals can be
called asynchronously, when should we broadcast and when not. Right now I
have chosen signals for status changes that potentially could be interesting
to multiple applications. I did not use signals for returning phone book
entries or SMSes (although the arrival notification is of course a signal) --
I tend to think broadcasting these results is over the top -- what do you
think?

Marcel, if you have a chance, I'd appreciate if you could take a look at the
complete API as it stands in svn and comment on that.

Cheers,

:M: