Qtopia, OpenMoko and X11

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Tue Feb 19 21:48:09 CET 2008

Hello humans and other intelligent species,

Who am I:
	My name is Holger 'zecke' Freyther and I'm writing Software.

Why am I talking:
	I have recently joined OpenMoko and this is my short self-introduction.

What am I doing:
	I'm going to work on Qtopia, specially Qtopia on X11 for OpenMoko.

Why Qtopia:
	We like diversity (the Open in OpenMoko is not only good for marketing, like
	some other big internet companies believe) by adding Qtopia we can attract
	more and different developers. My other take on this is there are certain
	things in the Qtopia suite that are working really well and there is no
	reason to reinvent the wheel (think of a gsmd replacement...).

Why X11:
	First of all there is nothing wrong with QtopiaCore (I still prefer the old
	name Qt/E) in contrast I believe it is performing better than kdrive and with
	Qt 4.4 it will be even faster.

Why X11 if nothing is wrong with QtopiaCore:
	Using QtopiaCore means it is more difficult to use other toolkits. While you
	probably could port Gtk+ (think of Gtk+ for directFB)  you don't want
	to port all of them (evas/ETK/EWL, FLTK, wxWidgets, Java/AWT/SWING,
	tcl/tk,motif). The common denominator is the X11 protocol and with Xglamo
	the performance should be quite nice anyway.

When:
	Now, I don't know the deadline but it is probably soon, am I late already?

Who:
	Graeme and me will mostly look into it.

Where:
	The development will take place in a public git repository. Check the gitweb
	installation here [1].

How:
	We will compile QQtopia not against Qtopiacore but Qt/X11. And luckily some
	people at Trolltech did most of the heacy lifting. We have to understand
	where they stopped doing it, what issues they faced and how to resolve them.

Are we there yet:
	Don't be fooled by images but check this movie [2]. Again most of this is
	working out of the box because Trolltech did prepare this, the patches we
	have created so far are minor. Check the README.x11 in the source tree to
	get it compiled and understand what is not working.

Questions? Patches? Comments? More stuff next week
	z.

[1] http://git.openmoko.org/?p=qtopia.git;a=summary
[2] http://www.openembedded.org/~zecke/test-0000.mpeg