Xglamo X server progress report

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Thu Feb 21 02:53:58 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 9:32 PM, "Marco Trevisan (Treviño)"
<mail at 3v1n0.net> wrote:
> Dodji Seketeli ha scritto:
>
>  > So in short, just compiling a new gta02 image should get you a working
>  > RandR powered X server on the gta02 device.
>  >
>  > To test it, you can connect to the device and do things like:
>  >
>  > * xrandr --output default --rotate left <-- rotate the screen to
>  > landscape
>  >
>  > * xrandr --output default --rotate normal <-- rotate back to normal.
>  >
>  > * xrandr --output default --mode 240x320 <-- switch to qvga
>  >
>  > * xrandr --output default --mode 480x640 <-- switch to vga.
>  >
>  > So now, when the accelerometer driver is ready someone should add hack
>  > the neod deamon to detect when the device is flipped and use the
>  > libxrander library to instruct the Xglamo server to rotate the screen
>  > accordingly :-)
>
>  Cool... I've tried to get this using qemu, but it didn't work, but maybe
>  it's due to the emulator itself, btw any news about the accelerometers
>  integration?
>  The iPhone-style rotation would be really cool and also useful (maybe it
>  could allow to use WITH FINGERS a qwerty keyboard instead of the
>  standard-phone-copy that is available now!).
>  I trust in this development...!

Rodrigo Vivi did this for Nokia N8x0 (omap2420)
http://labs.vivi.eng.br/blog/?p=39 but it was not without glitches:
after the rotation you notice some lag/flicker and speed is a bit
worse, this last one is impossible to fix due memory cache lines, the
former may be doable with tweaking of kernel, X and app so they sync
and garbage is not draw.

I did not benchmark, but using my software_16 ecore/evas rotation did
visually better, but possible slower... someone could test to check
how much slower it is.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi - Embedded and Mobile Software Development