Virtual QWERTY Keyboards to be used with Fingers...

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Sat Feb 23 22:49:23 CET 2008

I'm really excited waiting for the Freerunner to be available to the
public, so I'm looking around searching the resources I'll need more.

I think that one of the most important thing when it comes to the daily
phone use, is the virtual input device that imho it should be completely
usable with *fingers* (the stilus isn't portable!) giving the users the
same confort that the key-based devices give.

To get the best usability and speed while writing I do think that is
needed a QWERTY style keyboard (If you've ever tried a blackberry you'd
know what I mean).
Actually there are two alternatives: the QTopia predictive keyboard [1]
that works quite well if used with a good dictionary (also if it should
be improved for writing new words), and the iphone-like virtual keyboard
  [2] that is already available for N800 and that should be easily
portable to Openmoko too.

Any other? If there are some others I don't know them, but the solutions
I've tried using the Openmoko GUI with qemu aren't so good imho.
I think that some virtual qwerty keyboards should be developed also
considering that Openmoko supports the landscape view (not using
accelerometers yet, but it does it!) and that mode could/should be used
for writing, so we could use more space to put keys in!

    Treviño

[1] http://tinyurl.com/2kqffp
[2] http://tinyurl.com/3dulzh

PS: I've cross-posted this message, I hope it won't be a problem.

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/