gta02a5 prototype #30 brief review

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Wed Feb 27 06:12:58 CET 2008

> * on bootup, the device started to crackle and was _very_ slow. Further
> debugging lead us to the J6 GPIO which was not initialized. Setting it to 1
> made the system usable and stopped the audio crackles.

This is killed.

> * vibrator is very weak, i guess this is a hardware problem, right?

Still investigating this, it seems it should be hardware one way or the
other.

> * audio is a bit on the soft side, did the amp change or is it a software
> problem?

No idea.

> * BT and GPS power nodes are only in a very deeply embedded i2c subdir,
> whereas the other device nodes are in /sys/devices/.

We can symlink them if you think it is good.

> * after enabling the BT power node, no bluetooth model is found on USB.

You must additionally echo "0" > bah-de-blah/reset for detection

> * GPS module works ok, very impressive actually, we even got a fix inside the
> ICE (which has very thick windows).

Ooooh good!

> * Wifi module works ok, but has some quirks. First, reception was not that
> good, second, there are some driver problems with the wireless extensions not
> being fully supported. you can't set the channel in ad-hoc mode, link quality
> has bogus values (x/y, x >= y), when you scan and there is nothing found,
> iwlist eth0 scan hangs with:
>     eth0      Failed to read scan data : Resource temporarily unavailable
> kernel says:
>   AR6000 scan complete: 0
>   ar6000_ioctl_giwscan(): data length 0
>   [repeated 20 times]

You must have the "89" firmware on your module for good operation.

> * the LEDs do not turn off (echo 0 keeps them slightly on)

WWWWAAAH

Well they're off here

> * the blue LED can not be turned on

WWWWAAAH

It works here

There are problems with PWM that Willie made a workaround patch for by
making them GPIO on/off for now, maybe it will help until the PWM issue
is understood.

> * xrandr -o 2 just crashes the X server, --output default --rotate left does
> not work

Dunno.

> * There's an interesting xglamo xrender performance problem vs. software
> rendering. I'll post more details after running a benchmark.
>
> * I got a LEDPWRFAIL in dmesg:
>   PCF50633_INT4_LEDPWRFAIL

Yeah I have it on my whiteboard.  It is to do with the problem of
backlight not coming back on easily that has always been there.

> * NOT tested yet:
>  * accellerometer
>  * suspend/resume from various sources
>  * RTC

Testing RTC will be valuable because I never looked at it and the time
is often inconsistent.

> Further questions:
>
> * What's the plan regarding support for non-coloumb-counter batteries? apm did
> not show any sane values. Interestingly after some time, I got a BATTFULL
> message from PCF -- is this correct?

They should work for charging but we don't ship with them so no
telemetry.  The telemetry from the smart batteries is pretty good.

BATTFULL is fine it is an event from the standalone charger state
machine that it sees it should stop charging because the battery is
acting done.  It keeps topping the thing up at (long) intervals and will
repeat it ongoing, but it is accurate.

> * battemp and friends do not contain information yet.

Raster was in here yesterday asking about that, he is on it.

- -Andy