Phonebook on SIM card

Andy Powell openmoko at automated.it
Fri Feb 29 09:37:19 CET 2008

On Friday 29 February 2008 04:59, Chia-I Wu wrote:
> Hi Bobby,
>
> (moving the discussion to openmoko-devel)
>
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 01:15:08PM -0600, Bobby Martin wrote:
> > I will also soon have an interim solution for importing contacts from
> > the SIM into the address book for you to put up there, too :-)
>
> I spent some time on phonebook importing last weekend (for fun :-).
> Currently, I am able to read the phonebook entries from the SIM and
> insert them into EDS.  Unicode entries are also supported, but the
> support is a little bit ugly.  I plan to work on a cleaner way for
> unicode support over this weekend.
>
> My biggest problem right now is that openmoko-contacts is not aware of
> the phonebook on SIM card.  This means, deletion or renaming from
> openmoko-contacts do not propagate back to the SIM.  This can cause
> confusion to the users.  Do you have any idea how to deal with it?

if you delete a contact from the *phone* it should NOT delete it from the
SIM!!

General practice on every phone I've used has been that you perform actions on
either the SIM or phone 'memory' and do remove / change something on the SIM
you select that as the 'db' you're working with. I think just deleting from
the SIM when deleting om contacts would be a mistake.

MHO of course

Andy