userspace memory

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Thu Jan 31 04:36:47 CET 2008

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:58:48 +0100 Schmidt András <asch at freemail.hu> babbled:

> Hi!
>
> My question is that how much memory can an OpenMoko userspace
> application use?
>
> Certainly I see on wiki that the device has 128M of RAM. The question is
> how much is consumed by the operating system when it is used "normally"
> (eg when talking or writing SMS) and how much remains for a user program
> to use?
>
> I am developing a map viewer application that loads the tiles (from
> flash or internet) of maps when they are accessed. These tiles are then
> disposed but some could also be cached (for the chance that the user
> scrolls to the same area again). I am trying to find out what cache size
> I could use.

base os + base x uses up about 10-12m ram. then u add WM and panels etc. so it
depends what you want to do/replace. i think all the base is about is about 31m
of ram as it stands (gtk+ base today, matchbox, mb-panel, mb-keyboard,
lock-screen app when it pops up). so thats what is paged in and needed in ram
other than buffers/cache. the rest is available (so lets say 90-95m) is what
you'd get.

mind u i am playing with a bit of gui fun that only uses 15-16m as a base
(incuding x and base os)... :)