TangoGPS and GPSD

Harald Koenig koenig at tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Sun Jul 6 20:00:52 CEST 2008

On Jul 06, Marcus Bauer wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 19:17 +0200, Bernhard Höll wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > unfortunately I still get no GPS data. I went for a 25 minute trip on a
> > plain field, so GPS reception should be no prob. .
>
> My Freerunner needs ~5 minutes before it has the time (tangoGPS displays
> the time of the GPS even if there is no fix) and ~10-15 minutes overall
> before it gets a fix. If I move, even just walking or have the Neo not
> in an upright position, I don't get a fix at all. Clear skyview of 80%
> sky is necessary for my FR too.
>

> > When connecting via 'nc' to the gpsd I get output
> > "
> > GPSD,R=1
> > $GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
> > $GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
> > $GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
> > $GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
> > $GPGSV,1,1,00*79
> > $GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
> > $GPZDA,,,,,00,00*48
> > $GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
> > "
>
> The above log data means that the GPS chip has just no clue about its
> whereabouts.

check this mail thread for details:

      http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/hardware/2008-April/000055.html

this explains that there is a problem with the internal antenna.
the gps receiver detects a shortage and disables the antenna :-(

same problem with my new gta02 :-(

Harald
--
"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\