Current Bootchart

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Mon Jul 14 22:21:30 CEST 2008

Is there a way to make nightly builds of the entire distro, than
automatically boot them on some server with qemu then time it?

I know this won't match what real hardware does, but it would be nice
to have a graph of boot times and see if one build is remarkably worse
(or better) than another.

(if only I could do this stuff as my real job ;) )

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:56:38PM +0200, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> On Sunday 06 July 2008 05:30:42 Marek Lindner wrote:
>
> > you chart looks very good !
>
> Sorry for delay on answering but I have to not agree with You Marek.
>
> The 2:53 boot time is disaster - none of my devices takes so much time
> to just boot. I probably can go outside and find new phone before that one
> will stop booting :(
>
> Take a look at recent Poky updates - we did lot of changes related to
> minimize boot time. All of them gave us quite big speedup.
>
> From what I see the Openmoko boot process has few problems:
>
> - heavy bootsplash which block booting instead of going into background
> - some things which needs to be done once are on each boot (ipkg, ldconfig,
>   probably also depmod)
> - use of E17 based stuff with Qtopia based stuff at same time so two heavy
>   apps fight for CPU time
>
> Even if you make X11 not starting in background (like it is in Poky) you
> can have device blocked for quite long time... We wait some time to give
> X11 startup more CPU time and then start other daemons. With configuration
> which Openmoko use under X it probably does not give anything special (but
> it is worth trying).

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                hozer at hozed.org

Somone asked me why I work on this free (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz