Packaging third-party applications (Was: Meta Toolchain Release (2008 May))

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Wed Jun 4 13:35:02 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 04 June 2008 10:22:57 Andy Green wrote:
> Packaged-based toolchain is then a complete stand alone solution for
> normal devs.  For the people who build the packages in the main repo
> from scratch and do have to have a complete set of build dependencies on
> their build box, this bitbake or mokomakefile stuff that wants to build
> an entire subdistro on their host is actually useful.  But how many
> people need to drink that bleach?  Three?

Bzzt, I think (actually I hope... time will tell) you're seriously wrong about
a major share of our target audience here. Vertical markets, solution
providers, geeks, you name it, will definitely want to have full control over
the bits that come into the flash image that runs on their personal device.

> Everyone else can have a
> happy life building package-based.

Agreed.

:M: