Simplifying the mixer

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Jun 12 01:11:55 CEST 2008

Am Mi  11. Juni 2008 schrieb Michael 'Mickey' Lauer:
> On Wednesday 11 June 2008 21:41:29 Mike Montour wrote:
> > My recommendation would be to keep the register numbers out of the
> > names, but to change some of those strings to more closely match the
> > names used in the chip documentation.
> >
> > For example, consider the controls called "Headphone" and "Speaker".
> > Neither label is correct for the GTA01 - "Headphone" is actually
> > LOUT1/ROUT1 and controls all audio from the WM8753 to the LM4857 chip,
> > while "Speaker" is LOUT2/ROUT2 and is N/C.
>
> Agreed. Having 40+ controls in the mixer is confusing enough, let alone
> wrong  labelling.

40+?? do a "tail /etc/alsa.state", it's 90+!
Anyway, if we *are* able to change the names, I would strongly suggest to
either include a 2-digit unique reference to the register, or use the chip
doc names all the way. (Or at least push someone to create a 3-col-dictionary
alsa|R-b:b|specname)
Try to figure out what's "sidetone" in alsamixer, and have a 'nice' time ;-)!
Then there also seem to be names used that sound like genuine spec-names but
can't be found anywhere (sorry no pointer now)

OT:
btw: can someone tell me where the mixer-settings for different scenarios
(like mediaplayer, phonecall-handset, phonecall-headset...) are stored? And
how they are restored to mixer? I'd expect some simple alsactl commands, miss
the files though.
/jOERG