Simplifying the mixer

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Thu Jun 12 12:07:10 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 01:11:55AM +0200, Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> Am Mi  11. Juni 2008 schrieb Michael 'Mickey' Lauer:
> > On Wednesday 11 June 2008 21:41:29 Mike Montour wrote:

> > > For example, consider the controls called "Headphone" and "Speaker".
> > > Neither label is correct for the GTA01 - "Headphone" is actually
> > > LOUT1/ROUT1 and controls all audio from the WM8753 to the LM4857 chip,
> > > while "Speaker" is LOUT2/ROUT2 and is N/C.

That's unfortunate - what's happened here is that the names used for the
output controls have been set to match the ALSA naming standard based on
the recommended external configuration in the datasheet.

> Anyway, if we *are* able to change the names, I would strongly suggest to
> either include a 2-digit unique reference to the register, or use the chip

If you guys do decide to do patches for any of this then the naming
standard for ALSA controls is documented in the kernel source in
Documentation/sound/alsa/ControlNames.txt - straying away from that will
confuse applications.  Some stuff may have to stay OpenMoko-local if it
corresponds too much to things in the OpenMoko design, at least until a
non-invasive way of dealing with control renaming is available.

Sadly there's no good solution to this at the minute :(

> doc names all the way. (Or at least push someone to create a 3-col-dictionary
> alsa|R-b:b|specname)

This does seem like a good approach since it would avoid maintaining a
diff.

> Try to figure out what's "sidetone" in alsamixer, and have a 'nice' time ;-)!
> Then there also seem to be names used that sound like genuine spec-names but
> can't be found anywhere (sorry no pointer now)

Sidetone is a standard telephony term:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidetone

If you find things that don't appear to correspond to either the ALSA
standard or the chip datasheet then please report them - they certainly
should at least be looked at.