python-efl on ubuntu gutsy

John Lee john_lee at openmoko.com
Mon Jun 16 09:00:54 CEST 2008

Hi,

i think this might be helpful for someone.

http://www.reonsoft.com/~john/blog/2008/06/14/python-efl-on-ubuntu-gutsy/

hey if you have a extremely slow laptop (Pentium III) like me yet you
still want to use python-efl on it, here is how.

first, compiling the whole e17 from scratch is not an option. it will
take forever. there’s a ubuntu package repository for e17:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/e17.list
deb http://e17.dunnewind.net/ubuntu gutsy e17
deb-src http://e17.dunnewind.net/ubuntu gutsy e17
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install efl-dev libecore-imf-evas-dev

this can save a lot of time.

the other problem is that the latest cython release (0.9.8) does NOT
work with python-efl. you have to install 0.9.6.14 instead. don’t
forget to install python-pyrex as well.

now you’re all set, get python-efl.

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at anoncvs.enlightenment.org:/var/cvs/e login
cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous at anoncvs.enlightenment.org:/var/cvs/e co e17

it’s under e17/proto/python-efl. another funny gotcha is that the
binary packages I installed were built on 20080309. so the latest
python-efl will not build successfully.

cvs -z3 update -dP -D 20080309

fixs this.

the default build-all.sh under python-efl directory builds evas ecore
edje emotion e_dbus epsilon. that’s too many. for me I just need evas
ecore edje e_dbus.

Regards,
John