OFT Status Update 2006.6.1

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Wed Jun 18 00:26:53 CEST 2008

Openmoko Framework Team Status Report 2008.6.1

Hi guys! This is the second Openmoko Framework Team Status update, today only
brief and focusing our first milestone release.

For the general motivation, the goals, and the way we are doing our work,
please see http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenmokoFramework.

== What happened since the last report ==

=== People ===

* Daniel Willmann <alphaone at openmoko.org> joined the framework team -- welcome
on board, Daniel!

=== DBus APIs ===

* org.freesmartphone.GSM has received slight corrections and enhancements
based on feedback during implementing ophoned and gsmd2.

* org.freesmartphone.{Event|Usage|Device} start looking more stable.

* We have started brainstorming about org.freesmartphone.Preferences and
org.freesmartphone.Context

=== Implementations ===

Openmoko Framework Image -- 'Groundhog Day' (Milestone I)

This is the first milestone release of the framework and the framework testing
application 'Zhone'.

==Purpose==

A lightweight image that turns an Openmoko phone into a featurephone and that
serves as the basis for further application development experiments using the
freesmartphone.org dbus APIs.
Download / Installation

   1. Grab a uImage and a .jffs2 for your device from
http://downloads.openmoko.org/framework/milestone1/.
   2. Flash it to your Neo1973 (om-gta01) or NeoFreerunner (om-gta02) with
dfu-util.
   3. Boot and wait until the 'Openmoko - Please wait...' appears.
   4. Note: If the application does not start after 2 minutes, please reboot
once. This can happen the first time you boot the framework image. It's a
last-minute bug that crept in this milestone (sorry!).

==What you can expect from this release==

    * Simple Telephony (singleparty calls).
    * First release of the following freesmartphone.org dbus APIs:
          o org.freesmartphone.Device
          o org.freesmartphone.Usage
          o org.freesmartphone.Event
          o org.freesmartphone.GSM

==What you should not expect==

    * 100% working Suspend and Resume all the time (kernel issues are still
being worked on.
    * Anything beyond simple telephony. This will come in future milestones.

==What we expect from you==

    * Feedback and comments for the dbus APIs. This is your chance to take an
active role into shaping the application programming interface for all your
cool applications.

===What's next===

    * Enhancing the API documentation, e.g. org.freesmartphone.GSM at
http://www.freesmartphone.org/mediawiki/index.php/Standards/OpenPhoneServerAPI
    * Working towards Milestone 2 (see
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenmokoFramework)

The Team: