Good books?

Anthony Taylor tony at paperdove.org
Fri Jun 27 17:16:11 CEST 2008

Jonathon Suggs wrote:
> I'm surprised that this didn't get any responses (at least to the ML).
> I'm kinda in the same situation (and so would assume there are others as
> well), so if people have suggestions please post here for future reference.

I'm not sure that you're talking about "embedded" development,
specifically. It sounds like you need some basic systems-level
references. I don't know of any good books on the subject, since I get
pretty much everything off the web these days. In fact, I'd be a little
wary of any book, especially ones on dbus and Linux modules, as those
are "moving targets," as they say. For dbus, your best resource is the
auto-generated documentation that comes with the source, and is
available through most package repositories, and on-line.

However, here are some resources you might use on the web:

For writing daemons:

Old, but still good:
	http://www.netzmafia.de/skripten/unix/linux-daemon-howto.html

The only thing not covered is using standard logging facilities, like
syslog.

For dbus, go straight to the source:
	http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus

There's a section on documentation, which includes a decent (though
incomplete, and possibly dated) tutorial, and all the auto-generated
documentation for the most recent release.

For module programming, linuxhq has your stuff:
	http://www.linuxhq.com/lkprogram.html#module

As far as "services" go, what do you mean? Daemons usually provide
services, though you can create a service that starts on-demand using dbus.

I'm still waiting for GTA02 hardware to come to the states so I can
start programming, too, so I can't give OpenMoko-specific advice.
However, the links listed above should give you a start on systems
programming.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

				- Tony