GSoC Accelerometer-based Gestures Update 5

Paul-Valentin Borza paulvalentin at borza.ro
Fri Jun 27 17:17:08 CEST 2008

Well... good news!

I've received the FreeRunner on Tuesday.
I've moved from the Eclipse build system to the autoconf and automake. I've
also cross-compiled the libs and apps for the FreeRunner. And I've
cross-compiled the bluez library because it's not currently included in the
Toolchain.
Due to all of these, I can connect the Wii Remote to the FreeRunner and it
works as if it was on the pc. Although this has no relevance, it was fun to
try.

Back to the Neo. I've created the library that reads the accelerometer of
the Neo (event2 or event3). event2 (top-accel) is positioned at 45 degrees
as Daniel explained to me.
I can't read event3 with my current devel image from June 25. I remember it
worked with other images which I've tried on Tuesday with hexdump.
Can anyone confirm that hexdump /dev/input/event3 isn't working on that
image and works on other images?

Good news is that the library worked out of the box with FreeRunner's accel,
even if it's positioned at 45 degrees, some gestures were recognized. Models
have to be re-estimated for the +/-2G range.
Also, Daniel told me and I've cheked that the range can be changed to even
+/-8G. Can we change the range to +/-4G (almost like the Wii - the official
range is +/-3G but it sends even to +/-4G)? +/-4G is a much better range.
+/-2G is easily reached.
This kind of helps me, because I won't have to re-estimate the models as the
models will equally apply to the Neo as well as the Wii.

The FreeRunner is awesome, I really like what I'm doing :)
I will be busy in the weekend because I have to prepare for my thesis
defense (presentation) but I'll create an ipkg next week, so everybody can
try the "initial release".

Paul
--
http://www.borza.ro