Usability Review of OpenMoko GTK+ Applications

Rodolphe Ortalo rodolphe.ortalo at free.fr
Mon Mar 10 21:42:18 CET 2008

Le lundi 10 mars 2008 à 13:27 +0000, Thomas Wood a écrit :
> I've been thinking about the usability of the GTK+ based OpenMoko
> applications and I have come up with some suggestions I'd like to
> implement.
[...]
> Theme
> -----
>
> The biggest problem with the current theme is performance. The main
> issue here is the use of gradients which requires either stretching
> images or dithering (for 16bit display). Both these are a significant
> performance hit, so I would like to suggest redesigning the theme to be
> faster and more efficient.

Is it really necessary to adjust the theme itself to solve such
performance issue? My first reaction reading you was: would it be
possible to use some kind of caching (or static pre-processing) to solve
these issues (esp. as the UI configuration is not so dynamic)? But I am
not well aware of all the implications here so I may have a bad
perception of the problem itself.

Rodolphe