Usability Review of OpenMoko GTK+ Applications

Esben Damgaard ebbe at skummer.com
Thu Mar 13 16:20:07 CET 2008

man, 10 03 2008 kl. 13:27 +0000, skrev Thomas Wood:
> Today Application
> -----------------
>
> The current "today" application has three pages. A summary screen, an
> application list and a running application list.
>
> My suggestions are:
>
> * Remove the running application list - this is a desktop paradigm that
> has no place on an embedded device
>
> * Add a running indicator and a close button to items in the application
> list if they are running. This is really a work around  as we do not
> have proper session management yet, but it is nicer than having two
> separate lists for applications.

I like the idea of being able to see if the program is already running
in the application list. Though I'd still like the idea of having a list
of all running programs. This could be an application of it self.

But for some more hardcore stuff: You shouldn't have to close programs.
This is not good usability. Instead give the option, but if we run out
of ram, the OS should close the oldest program. But then a program
should be able to say to the OS that the program is meant to be running
for a long time.. Or maybe this is a bad idea..

But it is an idea all the same. Any thoughts on this from someone else?

Esben Damgaard