Question about boot from SD

Neng-Yu Tu (Tony Tu) tony at openmoko.com
Tue Mar 18 12:36:48 CET 2008

> When I want to boot Neo FreeRunner from SD card, do I have to follow the
> steps like: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Booting_from_SD? Or is there
> any easy method to boot from SD? Like just copy the files needed into SD
> card and select Boot from SD card from Boot Menu. Thanks!!

Following is my step for foot from sd function, using ubuntu and clean
512 MB Sandisk microSD card (original FAT16 partition SD card):

*Step 1, umount volume:

sudo umount /media/disk-1

Then re-partition the sd card into 2 partition, first one using vfat and
have 8MB size for uImage.bin, second(rest of storage) using ext2 format
for rootfs files/directory.  Both volume using primary partition type.

*Step 2, fdisk:

sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0

------------------------------
Command (m for help): d
Selected partition 1

Command (m for help): n
Command action
    e   extended
    p   primary partition (1-4)
Partition number (1-4): 1
First cylinder (1-983, default 1):
Using default value 1
Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (1-983, default 983): +8M

Command (m for help): n
Command action
    e   extended
    p   primary partition (1-4)
Partition number (1-4): 2
First cylinder (18-983, default 18):
Using default value 18
Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (18-983, default 983):
Using default value 983

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
Syncing disks.
====================

*Step 3 Format:

Format 2 volume with vfat (uImage.bin) and ext2 (rootfs files)

mkfs -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1

mkfs -t ext2 /dev/mmcblk0p2

*Step 4 Copy files into 2 volume:

sudo cp -r /home/tony/Desktop/kernel/uImage.bin /media/disk-1
sudo cp -r /home/tony/Desktop/root_files/. /media/disk-2

sync

*Step 5 Select the boot from SD from menu (with correct u-boot_env content)

Tony Tu (Neng-Yu Tu)