Openmoko and the Summer of Code

Stefan Schmidt stefan at openmoko.org
Sun Mar 23 02:19:15 CET 2008

Hello.

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 07:24, Sudharshan S wrote:

> 1.) I have been working on the python-openmoko project[1], and was
> wondering if its possible to extend that as part of the GSoC. The main
> concern is that creating bindings for libraries that use the glib
> library is pretty easy and I am not entirely sure if it would qualify as
> a GSoC project on its own. However assuming that we have some more
> middle ware libraries on our way, I guess its enough to keep me busy
> during the summer creating example apps, documenting the library. etc.

Python bindings itself are a good idea. As you wrote yourself, just
python-openmoko Alone makes no sense. Adding bindings for middleware
libraries we don't have yet is also hard. ;) You can of course create
a cool piece of middle ware we ware all waiting for, and *then* write
bindings for it. Would be the best for us. :)

As we are using also EFL these days, enhancing the python-efl bindings
would make sense, too. Gustavo and the INdT doing a good job with
them, but I would bet there is still stuff to do.

> 2.) One of the main parts of the OM stack I am familiar with is the
> "libgsmd" library on which we already has a little discussion[2] in the
> gsmd lists. I feel work on libgsmd (or its replacement) should be the
> top priority now and based on the discussions at the gsmd list I note
> that its too early to port pygsmd (by emdete) to a C project based on
> the OTAPI specs. One of the reasons[3] cited was the incomplete muxer
> support. Is it possible to fix that over time and start working on ophoned.

Hmm, pushing telephony forward is IMHO indeed one of the biggest
points. I know that emdete is working on a userpsace muxer and I also
heard rumors about work on a kernel muxer is in preparation. Sadly I
don't have the final vision on this. Mickey?

regards
Stefan Schmidt

PS: If I have missed another GSoC mail in my last roundtrip, please
scream and point me to it.