SoC: "Create a set of standard widgets using EFL"

Karthik Murugesan karthik4tech at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 05:31:38 CET 2008

Hi all,

  Adding to Mickey point, I am developing a EFL based mapping
application for openmoko but thought of develop those widgetset myself
following the Evas smart object model.
 It will be really useful if these widgets are developed as a part of GSOC.

 I can provide necessary guidance, if needed.

-Karthik M

On Sunday 23 March 2008 17:49:41 Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 17:00, andres wrote:
> > > Hi. I'm Andres, a student interested in applying for for this
> > > year's SoC. I have some experience with C and the EFL.
> >
> > Great, nice to see you are interested.
> >
> > > I have some questions about the idea listed on the wiki as "Create
> > > a set of standard widgets using EFL".
> > >
> > > The idea description says the widgets should be "equipped with
> > > proper signal/slot handling, so that you can use them as Edje
> > > parts". Does this mean that it should be implemented as an
> > > extension to Edje? So a given widget, say TEXTENTRY, could be
> > > included in an EDC the way RECT or IMAGE parts do? Basically, I
> > > would like a little more insight of the vision you guys have for the widget library.
> >
> > I cc'ed raster and mickeyl for the vision thing. :)
>
> i am entirely unsure of  what this standard widget set is meant to do...
> the first i heard of it was last week when people were asking why OM
> has this... i am not entirely sure of the intended goals etc. etc. :/

This widget set is the idea of having a small, but useful widget set
optimized for mobile devices with touchscreen interfaces as edje
building blocks.

It's about things like switches, multi-state buttons, sliders, wheels,
and perhaps more advanced things like a really useful generic list.

If you look at the iPhone, it has a limited, but powerful (because
optimized) set of these UI components. We need something like that.
Using Etk or Ewl for that would be overkill -- we don't need an
old-style toolkit written on top of a new-style toolkit.

Does that make it clearer?