openmoko-panel-gps applet

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Sat Mar 29 15:03:45 CET 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008 12:07:46 Tim Niemeyer wrote:
> >    I modified the openmoko-panel-gps applet and let user can power
> > on/off the gps module for with GUI on GTA02v5.
>
> What is with GTA01?
> Souldn't it be possible to power gps on/off there also?

In theory yes, in practice gllin already handles at least powering on and
there's little reason to turn gps on without running gllin -- which is the
only thing that can turn the raw data into NMEA.

> Is there a way to figure out on wich machine we are in userspace, so
> that the panel applet could decide what to do?

Absolutely, you can cat /proc/cpuinfo to see which hardware you're on.
However:

> Or should the applet only
> start/stop the gps-hardware/gps init script, wich is different on
> GTA01/02?

Yes, at least for the time being (where all PM interfaces are pretty much
ad-hoc and not yet compliant to our dbus API spec) this would be the best
approach.

:M: