Automatic pop up kbd

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Fri May 16 18:40:47 CEST 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008 17:24:49 +0100 Chris Lord <chris at openedhand.com> babbled:

> > "There's nothing worse than having an external keyboard connected and being
> > forced to waste screen real estate on something you don;t need."
>
> Sorry, I missed this - I agree.

or any other situation you don't want it... :)

> > It's also particularly annoying when a keyboard pops up on the first field
> > of a screen covering up the actual field you wanted to fill out, unless the
> > keypad provides tab navigation or something.
>
> The keyboard should only come up when the user explicitly selects an
> input entry - of course, this is up to the application to make sure it
> doesn't force the keyboard up by auto-focusing an entry. Or up to the
> toolkit that it doesn't fire off the X event when an entry isn't focused
> explicitly. Not the keyboard, anyway.

yup, though in the case of a bug full-window text entry for a note
application.. you're going to be pretty stuck for scrolling, selecting text
for copy and paste etc., here. :) finger-scroll (drag finger up and down on
text entry to scroll) is going to focus it in reality...

> > Actually, it was a request at first, it only became a complaint when choice
> > was taken away.
>
> Who took the choice away? (I'm not in charge of OpenMoko or what patches
> get accepted of course, so maybe someone did, but I've not been aware of
> this?)
>
> > It only explains that you seemed to think I was saying your keyboard was
> > shit or something. We aren't even talking about your keyboard.  Carsten has
> > provided a mechanism we can use to fix his keyboard when it appears.
>
> In fairness, it is pretty shit, it was only meant as a starting point
> and it's mostly just tying together other peoples' work with string and
> masking tape :) But it sounded to me like blame was being attributed
> when there was no one/thing at fault?

i was the one who removed the buttons/widget/gadget that gives manual control.
i did it because i was instructed to do so by management. if people have an
issue with losing manual keyboard popup/down control there is the place to take
it up. i am just relaying the facts as they stand.