[linux-usb-devel] [RFC] g_serial: Real tty device passthrough.

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Fri Mar 9 20:44:39 CET 2007

Hello.

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 15:25, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> >On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 14:19, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> >> On 3/8/07, Stefan Schmidt <stefan at datenfreihafen.org> wrote:
>
> >1. Ask if code for something like this exists that we can use instead
> >   reinvent the wheel.
>
> I don't think that we already have this implemented. So, this one is
> discarded.

OK, good to know.

> >I could life with that solution, but why not extend g_serial with a
> >paramter to communicate directly with another tty?
>
> Yep... this could be done... actually it's not that difficult, check
> the code here:
>
> #define GS_MAJOR			127
> #define GS_MINOR_START		  0
>
> I think the first test here is to change this two defines for you
> MAJOR and MINOR numbers, the ones for /dev/ttySACx
>
> After that, if this is working... you could:
> module_param(major, int, S_IRUGO|S_IWUSR);
> MODULE_PARM_DESC(major, "Sets the Major Number for the tty port");
>
> module_param(minor, int, S_IRUGO|S_IWUSR);
> MODULE_PARM_DESC(minor, "Sets the Minor Number for the tty port");

Sounds easy. I'll give it a try tonight. (Need to finish my
development setup first)

> Also, I'll try to take a look at the openmoko project and see what are
> you guys  doing...

We working hard to get a open source mobile stack from developer for
the community. Hard work, but hopefully worth it.

> Please let me know if this is working or not...

I'll test tonight and let you know my results.

> I think g_serial is not Ok with standard tty terminals... it's more
> reliable with ACM terminals... so maybe you should check this too...

OK, I keep this in mind.

> >It's the Neo1973 smartphone. First device using the OpenMoko open
> >source mobile stack. http://openmoko.org/
> >
> >Atm we are running 2.6.20.1 and tracking newer versions. Harald Welte
> >is already working with Ben Dooks to get some patches for the samasung
> >SoC upstream. Other will follow once they are stable and we cleaned
> >them up. You can track them here: (euilt patchset in svn)
> >
> >https://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/src/target/kernel/patches/
>
> I'm checking the above URLS

Have fun. :)

> >Yeah, that was the idea. Main question was how to do this in an
> >elegant way.
> Once you set-up the major and minor parameters (and variables) you
> should change the entire GS_MAJOR and GS_MINOR_START calling to use
> the new variables...

Of course, will do.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

regards
Stefan Schmidt