Greetings, and questions about work flow

Pierre Ossman drzeus-list at drzeus.cx
Wed May 16 00:34:18 CEST 2007

Ben Dooks wrote:

> I find that git is not really suited to this kind of development, whilst
> it does its job for the kernel maintainers, I belive it isn't really what
> is needed when developing for a new hardware platform.
>
> The first problem is that git seems to require a centralised point
> of management for patches, and secondly, would you really want to pull
> a tree with hundreds of internal development changes?

Indeed I do ;)

OLPC actually keeps all the stuff in a git repo. There are some different
branches when excursions are needed, but in general there is just the one. I
don't know how much work Andres Salomon (which is the resident janitor) has
keeping it tidy, but as a developer I've found it quite easy to work with.

> I am interested in what comments you have about it, it did not
> look too bad the last time I cast my eyes over it.

To be honest, I haven't looked at the one you have. I have looked at the one
TomTom ships though and it's ifdef galore. That might be the norm when it comes
to embedded stuff, but to in my eyes it's messy as hell. ;)

I'll be more specific when I have a closer look at it.

Rgds

--
     -- Pierre Ossman

  Linux kernel, MMC maintainer        http://www.kernel.org